Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 25: The Audible Effects of Zoning

My neighborhood has no zoning. The corner bakery turns into a bar when the Corinthians are playing. I can hear them cheering, and shooting off fireworks. I can hear a church. They sing the gospel with a more energy than tone. I can hear the pneumatic tools of an auto shop and the saws of a lumber mill. My neighbors don't have glass in their window so their kitchen, which is cruelly two feet from my bedroom, is always audible. They are having company.

The cargo trucks don't slow down for our speed bumps or our potholes, so they sound like freight trains passing. Swarms of cheap motorcycles come and go like bees. Across the street roosters are crowing and a pack of strays is howling.

A heavy downpour muffles and blends these sounds into an enchanting delusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment