Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 38: Photography

Waiting for food at my neighborhood Lebanese sandwich and pizzeria I discover the bathroom. Their toilet is the kind with an overhead water tank and a pull string flusher. Full of excitement, I grab my camera and run back into the bathroom.

I return to a restaurant of stares. Uncomfortable, confused, staring.

Any explanation here would be a tightrope walk. I may well insult the restaurant if I'm unable to explain exactly what I mean by "interesting". A safer, more vague approach will likely end up with me looking crazier than I already do.

Also I don't know how to say 'toilet' in Portuguese. What I can say is "I saw something interesting in your restroom. I can't remember the word for it, but its the thing you have when you go to the bathroom". This is more ambiguous in Portuguese than it is in English.

There's no salvation in this one. I take the low road. Staring? What? Who's staring? I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. I sit down and hum tunelessly to myself until food arrives. I take it to go.

Yesterday I tried to take a picture of the storage container shops at the Sao Miguel market. They thought I was an investigator. They didn't like it.

Perhaps it's time to give up on my photographical aspirations for this blog. My pictures tend to be worth negative 1000 words anyway. I could spend all day describing the size and beauty of Sao Paulo Cathedral. With a single picture I would convince you that its actually small and dull. It is not small and dull.

1 comment:

  1. Aww Nuts! :) Good try though. :) Your art with language makes up for your lack of pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete