Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 17: The Cookie Smugglers, Part 3

Chief Cassique calls for music. Traditional drums are brought out, a not so traditional guitar is tuned, and a ceremonial "thank you" dance is preformed.

Very nice.

There's an American with us? He's never heard English before. An song is demanded.
Preferably an English version of a song he's familiar with.

aww...

Amazing grace is a safe bet. I don't know the lyrics past verse one, but I know the tune and that's what counts. At verse two, I start inventing lyrics. At verse three I start inventing words. Everyone smiles. Robert doesn't smile. He knows too much English.

Robert decides to help me out.

Robert's a good singer, and we sound nice together, but it quickly becomes clear that one of us knows the lyrics and one of us doesn't. The song ends. I try to apologize for mucking up the lyrics, but Robert is my translator. No one believes him.

Obviously the American was singing the correct lyrics. Robert tried to join in, and embarrassed himself. I try my best to exonerate Robert, but now they think I'm just trying to be nice. Not only did the American sing it perfectly, but now he's trying to take the fall for Robert. What a guy.

At this point Robert and I are laughing too much, so any further attempts are perceived as some kind of joke. We give up. I accept credit for being awesome, and Robert's a heel.

Chief Cassique liked the song. He formally presents me with a gift. It's a CD he likes. He explains how track number seven is totally killer, and invites me to come back for a visit on May 13. This is the best day of my life.

The truck has no trouble with the sand on our way out. It seems to weigh a lot less now. On the trip home I sit next to an old lady. She has been helping this tribe out with "cookies" for the last five years.

She confirms my assumption that the Indians were uncomfortable with their garb, but not for the reason I thought. Recently this tribe finally decided to adopt the practice of wearing clothes when they have company. They weren't trying to look more primitive for us. They were trying to look less.


Were the "cookies" some kind of Euphemism for something.. else?
Probably.


  Who thinks I should show up naked on the 13th? Share your opinion in the comments section below.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Love Chief Cassique!!! You must have made quite an impression to be the "perfect one", AND to be invited back!! :D Sounds hysterical!!! :D
    As far as YOU showing up sans clothing on your next meet up... I don't know. I think they would appreciate it, but maybe because you're not a part of their tribe, it might come off a bit offensive?? Maybe you can find someone in your area who is more familiar with their customs and find out if that would be acceptable. If so, and if you want to, go for it! Love, Ana

    P.S. I was not able to comment simply by signing in with an e-mail. All prompts required that I maintain a journal/blog/etc. with THEIR site, in order to commment on yours. :p So, I now posses an empty blog! :) But, that may give you a clue as to why you do not have very many comments. :p :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chief Cassique is definitely the man. This is wise advise on the clothes. I will also be accompanied by some other city folks as well, so if for their sake alone, I believe that clothes will be most prudent.
      Love, Cory

      P.S. Sorry about your trouble with the commenting.

      Delete