Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 12: Slum Singer

Work at the slum begins. The kids have never seen an American before, but they know better than to believe I'm one. My eyes are too dark and my hair isn't blond.

I narrate everything I do or see in English. Their response is enthusiastic. The school is instantly packed with scores of six year olds. English songs are demanded. 

My set list: Baby Beluga, Father Abraham, He's got the Whole World in His Hands

I'm a rock star.

Actually I'm just the warmup act. We are here to put on an Easter play and sermon, but the favela electrical grid isn't good at dealing with PA systems.This school house is like 10 ft by 30 ft, but we brought the speakers and mic so we're going to use them. 

I continue stalling with an encore of Father Abraham.

No comments:

Post a Comment