Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 23: Sunshowers

It started raining yesterday. The sun came out for an hour this morning. It didn't stop raining, but the sun came out. The sun came out again at noon. Still raining.

There are black clouds to the north and south, but a long narrow stretch of sunny sky running east west. I am directly under that stretch of sun. The rain is pouring. My street is a small river. It is almost seventy degrees and I'm tanning on the roof. In the rain.

Robert! This is crazy!

"Yes brother, you are insane"

What? No, the rain. And the sun. I mean ... What?

"You're out in the rain, you are crazy"

I learned today that seventy degrees is cold to a Brazilian. I learned today that a special alignment of mountains, oceans, and air currents makes this sunny strip in the middle of a monsooning monster cloud fairly common. I learned today that Brazilians are scared of the rain.

I proceed to follow my travel rule number 1: If the locals fear it, I fear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment